Thursday 1 November 2012

Chicken Soup for the Wannabe British Soul.

***VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ***
I would like to make an amendment to a previous posting (this post).
In said post, I incorrectly stated (yes, I made a mistake) that Kat made the pumpkin seeds. I have since been informed that Paul was the brain child behind these seeds (thanks for the clarification, Paul), and Kat was the seed picker, and toaster (not to be made light of). Thank goodness we were able to clear things up.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

The walk through the common yesterday morning on my way to the pool.

Baby, it's (ok, it was) cold outside (an excuse to quote my favourite xmas tune)....and it was Halloween....and we STILL had leftover chicken from Sunday night's dinner. Chicken soup it had to be. There was no question that the recipe had to be Auntie Janice's, from her 'Hog Island Cookbook' (don't google it, we're flattered, but it's a family cookbook, you won't find it).

You will need:

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Leeks, sliced thinly
1 C Celery, diced
1 C Carrots, diced
1 C mushrooms, sliced (I left these out, as S doesn't like mushrooms...I'm a good cousin)
8 C chicken stock (we made our own from our leftover chicken...granny are you reading this?)
2 C broad noodles (egg noodles work well, but I couldn't find them in this land, so settled for bow ties)
1/2 lb boneless chicken (skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
Rosemary or Bay Leaf
Thyme
Salt and pepper



We used our leftover chicken, but you can buy fresh chicken and put it in at the end like the recipe says.
My Art Smock- proper cooking attire. What? You're more concerned about the fact that I'm double fisting kitchen knives?






Method:

1) Heat oil in a soup pot
2) Add leeks, celery, carrots, and mushrooms, and saute for 2mins
3) Add chicken stock and bring to a boil
4) Add noodles and boil for 3 mins (if egg noodles, longer if bow ties)
5)Add chicken, rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 3 minutes until chicken is cooked and Janice swears you will never open a can of soup again! I will second that.


Dinner was followed by an amazing Skype session with our ninety-eight year old gran. She asked if there were any, in her words, "B-O-Y-S" in our lives at least 6 times. S thought maybe she was just hungry (she gets more forgetful when she's hungry), I think she was just nailing the message home.

Granny, I get it.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete