Tuesday 20 November 2012

Granny Audrey's Scrumptious Cheese Biscuits.

Let me introduce you to Granny Audrey. 


Granny Audrey was born in 1914. This is her in 1934 (If this was 2012, we'd probably be blogging about her choice in ski wear). I do think she rocked the pose....and the sweater. This was most likely taken on the slopes of one of the North Shore Mountains. 
Granny often tells me stories of her skiing days. 
She loved to hike the mountains and ski with the boys while the rest of the girls warmed themselves inside the cabin.


Here is present day gran, at 98 years old with her strawberry ice cream cone. She is still one tough cookie. She lives on her own, goes to morning fitness classes (so that she can still eat strawberry ice cream), and lately enjoys Skyping with her grandaughters across the pond. Our conversations as of late seem to focus on whether or not there are any men in our lives (she asked six times during our first Skype call). On occasion (I'm sure only out of obligation), she asks how school is going. Priorities right? As my friends would attest, in this regard, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

So here is Granny's recipe for cheese biscuits. When I called to get the recipe, I found out that it was actually her mother's recipe. Very cool. Some of my earliest memories with granny include me saddled up on her kitchen stool, hands and face covered in dough, helping her make these cheese biscuits.

Ingredients:

3 C Flour

3 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

6 tbsp Butter

1- 11/2 Cups Cheese (cut into small chunks/cubes)
**This time we used Grand Padano and Aged White Cheddar**

1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk (or milk + 2 tbsp vinegar)

Method:

1) Pre-heat oven to 450 F

2) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt

3) Work in butter and cheese

4) Stir in buttermilk

5) Turn out of bowl and kneed (do not overwork)

6) Pat out until one inch thick

7) Use a small juice glass to cut out in circles

8) place on foil lined pan

9) Bake for 12-15 mins





We enjoyed ours with (and by that I mean, lucky for me, S also made...) homemade butternut squash soup and pancetta...delicious!



Yum...


No comments:

Post a Comment