Monday 18 November 2013

Eastside Culture Crawl.



While I know you are not holding your breath, I'm happy to announce things are (slowly) coming together. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My coaching season is over, parent teacher conferences are done, and my report cards are (almost) complete. I also received an envelope in the mail from Goldsmiths announcing officially that I had completed my masters with merit. Phewf! Apart from all of these little milestones, the most exciting news is that I've found a new apartment, and am counting down the days until I can nest (December 1st).
Some of you may know, I've spent the last few hectic months living in my friends place half unpacked, so it will be wonderful to have a space that is mine, and a place that I can invest some energy into.

In an effort to take back my life, and the city I was once extremely excited about, I went with my parents to the Eastside Culture Crawl. It should be noted that I'm probably the last person in the entire city to get on board as this wonderful event has been going on for 17 years. Can you believe that? I've always been aware of it, but have never gotten off my bottom and attended. If you've never been, it involves over 15,000 Vancouverites visting the studios of of over 430 local artists. Basically the artists open up the doors to their work space and we trapes on through. It's wonderful, and made even more wonderful by the food trucks that saddle up next to the studios. If you're just starting out, and you don't feel up to strolling the streets from studio to studio, there's a large building with over 128 artists, called the Parker Street Studios. It's pretty much a one stop shop. That's where we went, and there was so much to see, I'm positive we didn't see it all.


 Aren't the Parker Street Studios everything you imagined?





This particular artist focused on the Vancouver's neon signs..



Mom loved these chairs.


I loved David Hornblow's portside Westcoast prints (below)



There was wonderful furniture...


And of course, the food trucks...













I also loved this piece...



And this series...




I laughed, as a week ago, I asked my brother to make me some 'stumps' for Chrismas, and I walked into a studio to find some similar ones. He's currently up at the cabin making some of his own. I'll let you know if he's successful, and you can place your orders!




Have you ever been to the Eastside Culture Crawl?

1 comment:

  1. Is there a way to purchase those David Hornblow prints? thisisdatis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete