Wednesday 18 July 2012

Swimming.


Yesterday was a difficult one. For this reason I concluded that I needed to get some exercise. My friend swears that a little salt cures anything. By this she means, salt from the sea, sweat, or your own tears. I asked her if we could add the salt rimmed glass of a margarita to her list- it seemed appropriate. All jokes aside, I truly believe there is no 'funk' that a few endorphins can't cure (at least temporarily).

First a little background...

I can't run or weight bare at the moment due to a foot injury for which I'm currently in physiotherapy for, so really haven't had much exercise since the injury occurred. Prior to this, I was doing pretty well, running 5 or 6 days a week. I think the combination of 'the curve ball' and the lack of exercise, was really having an effect on my emotional well being.

I set off for the community pool...

I felt like I was eight years old as I squeezed my way into my one piece Speedo. The recreation centre was packed. To tell you the absolute truth, I think I am more proud that I successfully navigated the awkward communal changing room (call me prude if you want- I think it's generational thing) than of the 45 laps I swam. I know many of you will criticize me for being so self conscious, but it's just the way I am. Seriously though, the challenge of trying to protect ones modesty, while not dropping your towel (or any of your clean dry clothing items) on the sopping wet changing room floor, while peeling off a tight bathing suit (and putting your undies back on when you're still not completely dry), is a complete nightmare. Changing stalls were invented for a reason- so people like me, can walk in, get naked, dry themselves off, and put their clothes back on. Easy.

Enough ranting...

Despite the logistics, I plan on making swimming part of my summer regime. That, and Yoga. I'm blogging about it so that you hold me to it. Done. I'll keep you posted!

I'll leave you with an illustration I loved by London's Charlotte Trounce: If you'd like to see more of her work, click http://charlottetrounce.tumblr.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment