Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Little Prince.



I had to interrupt the Cinque Terre sequence to celebrate the birth of HRH The Prince of Cambridge. Some of you may roll your eyes, but if you know me, you'll know how much I love the Royal Family. I have loved them since I was a little girl and would watch Diana and Charles' wedding over and over again on VHS.

I grew up in the 80s crushing on Prince William. I remember feeling secretly Jealous when Kate came on the scene, but when you saw them together you couldn't help but love them as a couple. I think it was during the engagement that I developed a girl crush on Kate. I truly felt that we could be friends (I'm certain I'm not the only girl who feels this way, hence her mass appeal). While I realize it's far too late for this (she's too cool for me now), I continue to enjoy watching their lives unfold. Their Royal Wedding was a dream come true. I loved every second of it (and bought the DVD).

Being in the same age brackets, I can live vicariously through them. They are two lovely people living a fairy tale.

Yesterday I woke up and went for my swim, expecting to get back and see photos of the couple leaving the Hospital with their new baby boy. When I arrived home and this hadn't happened, I worked on my  project for school. When the evening came and they still hadn't emerged, I figured this was a sign that I should go on a royal adventure.

As I couldn't convince anyone to join me (friends and family alike think I'm ridiculous), I went on my own. I headed to St. Mary's Hospital hoping to get a glimpse of the Happy Family. As crazy as this may seem to some people, I figured, I happen to be in London for this historic occasion, I may as well soak in the atmosphere.

I'm so glad I did. I emerged from Paddington station and found the hospital simply by heading towards the helicopters in the sky. The street was packed with photographers, news teams, tourists, and Londoners. Within five minutes I had made my way up to the fence (I'm still not sure how this happened), and within 20 minutes out came the proud new parents with their precious newborn bundle.





The above photos are from the Huffington Post, but below you will see what I was able to capture. My photos aren't terrific (when you have to hold your camera at arms length and snap away- you take what you can get), but it gives you and idea of the scene.

The crowd went crazy and we were all so delighted that they came right onto the street with their new (still nameless) baby boy. I wish you could have seen William. He was so happy. He had the biggest grin and could not stop smiling. He was the vision of a proud father when he got in the car and drove his new family home for the first time. It was a wonderful moment.

My Photos...





Even the Doctors were curious.


Reporters standing by.



Hospital employees hanging out the windows.



Recognize anything here?


Not everyone was there to support the happy couple.



A buzz filled the air when the Land Rovers pulled up...


And out they came.






William heading for the driver's seat. Didn't you love that he drove?






Quite certain he's waving at me. If only this could have happened 10 years ago.


A Happy Dad.



Kate and the little Prince.


After Will and Kate (and baby) pulled away, I continued my Royal Pilgrimage down to Buckingham Palace to take a look at the birth announcement.

News teams camped outside the Palace.


I arrived at 8:20pm, unfortunately 20 minutes too late. They had closed off the line to take pictures, anticipating that the easel would be taken inside at 8:30pm (precisely 24 hours after it was placed in the courtyard).

Lucky for me, as I stood there disappointed, I noticed a Maple Leaf in the line-up. Not only was it a Maple Leaf, but it was stitched on the sleeve of a Whitecaps Jersey (our Vancouver Soccer team). Surely they would take a picture for me. After convincing the nice Vancouver couple, and the nearest 'Bobby' that this was a good idea, I handed my expensive camera over to them as they filed up along the fence. I promised them a copy of the photos. They did a fantastic job (and thankfully returned my camera), and I was so grateful.

And here is the birth announcement about 30 seconds before it was taken away forever.


And now we get to wait for a name. Any thoughts? Though I'm not placing bets, I'm thinking Michael, Charles, James, or Phillip (do you sense a theme?).

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment